Closing Keynote: Improving Construction Safety to Recruit a Stronger and More Diverse Workforce
Presented by the Women Executives in Building Summit
Join this presentation on how a safe project is a productive project, featuring Doug Mouton GM of Global Data Center Construction for Microsoft, and Nancy Novak, Chief Innovation Officer for Compass Datacenters.
The statistics for safety in the construction industry have gotten better, but are still lagging other industries. Construction workers historically account for only about 5% of the overall U.S. workforce, yet the construction industry accounts for approximately 20% of the total occupational fatal and non-fatal injuries.
The statistics for production in the construction industry has stagnated over the past 30 years. Even with the technological advances with modeling, robotics, manufacturing approach and data mining, our beloved industry has not improved overall production rates and is behind schedule and over budget more often than not.
Doug and Nancy will explore how the topic of safety in the construction industry and the need for efficiency and better production are closely related. Solve for one, solve for both.
Key takeaways will cover:
1. An enduring safety culture creates safe workers and jobsites
2. Adopting and enforcing safety practices eliminates project disruptions
3. Commitment to safety improves staff retention and attracts new talent
4. Steadfast safety policies/practices allow a firm to establish a great reputation in the industry
5. Your safety culture has a tremendous impact on a firm’s productivity and competitiveness